Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Down in a hole, losing my soul...

Summer time is just about over and the fall semester has started...Somehow I've survived this far without losing it...somehow...But today I want to talk about something we all do on a daily basis...Something that has consumed me lately....Comparison..


Why do we compare ourselves to others base on social media? I'm going to be honest and real. I got caught up in everyone else's summer fun and their lives that it made me very sad. I questioned why I was going to school, why wasn't my life as glamorous, and why wasn't I having fun instead of working and going to school? I work full time and I'm going to school so I deserve to have a life that looks good on the 'gram, right? But I do have a life that looks good and feels good to me! Why is it so hard to see that?


I see people that always look so put together. They seem to have a new outfit all of the time. People that "work hard and play hard" and are always out having fun. I had a moment of self hate getting ready for a date and realizing that I don't have social media worthy clothes. That I'm a tshirt and jeans girl and there is little chances of changing. I almost didn't even want to go on this date, even though this guy is pretty awesome. I, for a short moment, hated myself for not having something to brag about. But I do have things to brag about! Like juggling school and a full time job with dating, the cutest 6 month old girl I love more than anything, and a fur baby that absolutely keeps me on my toes. So why do I envy people on social media? After all its a snippet of someone's life. Only the best parts. They still struggle with everyday things that we don't exactly want to see. No one wants to air out their life struggles,. Except for me. Because social media shouldn't only be used to share the good times, it should be used for the bad times too. Because we are real people. And I'm about as real as it gets.

So today, and this semester, I'm going to step away from the social media once in a while, stop comparing my life to others, and start enjoying my own blessings right in front of me. Because one day I'll look back and miss this time of my life.

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's greener where you water it."

How do you handle envy/self comparison on social media?

No comments:

Post a Comment